August 7, 2013

What was on our plate....

Last night we had Fiesta Fish, Baked Hash Browns au Gratin and Cheesy Garlic Biscuits finished off with Pink Champagne Salad.

We liked all of it except for the fish and it just did not appeal to either one of us.  Joanna has a Oven Fried fish recipe that we like much better. 



FIESTA FISH: * (only gave this one star as neither of us cared for it)

16 ounces white fish, cut into 4 pieces
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
1 cup chunky Salsa (mild, medium or hot)
1 Tablespoon Splenda Granular
1 Teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1 Teaspoon JO's Chili Seasoning or any chili seasoning
1 Teaspoon lemon juice (I use real lemon)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with butter-flavored cooking spray. Arrange fish pieces in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle onion over fish. In a small bowl, combine salsa, Splenda, parsley flakes, chili seasoning and lemon juice. Pour mixture evenly over fish. Bake for 25 minutes or until fish flakes easily. When serving, evenly spoon sauce mixture over fish pieces.

Serves 4- Newsletter, March 2003, page 4

126 Calories, 2g Fa, 19g Pr, 8g Ca, 518mg So, 7mg Cl, 2g Fi

------------------------------------------------------------------------

BAKED HASH BROWNS AU GRATIN: ***** (loved this!)

4 1/2 cups (15 ounces) shredded loose-packed frozen potatoes
2/3 cup Carnation Nonfat Dry Milk Powder
1 cup water
1/4 tsp. lemon pepper
1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) shredded Kraft reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (I used Sharp Cheddar)
2 Tablespoons Asiago cheese (Ann says this makes it much cheesier and she is right)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with butter flavored cooking spray. Arrange potatoes in prepared baking dish. In a small bowl, combine dry milk powder, water, lemon pepper and parsley flakes. Evenly pour milk mixture over potatoes. Bake for 45 minutes. Evenly sprinkle Cheddar cheese over top.   Sprinkle Asiago cheese over the Cheddar.  Continue baking for 5 to 7 minutes or until cheese has melted.  Place baking dish on a wire rack and let set for 5 minutes. Divide into 4 servings.

Serves 4: Make a Joyful Table, Page166

166 Calories, 2gm Fat, 10gm Protein, 27gm Carbohydrate, 151mg Sodium, 221mg Calcium, 3gm Fiber

Because I added the Asiago cheese, it raised the Calorie count to 176 but so worth it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHEESY GARLIC BISCUITS: **** (I only gave these 4 stars because it needs more garlic and cheese)

3/4 cup Bisquick Heart Smart Reduced Fat Baking Mix
1/3 cup Carnation Nonfat Dry Milk Powder
2 T. Splenda Granular
1/4 tsp. dried minced garlic (I think this should be at least 1/2 tsp and maybe even 1 tsp.)
1/4 cup (3/4 ounce) grated Kraft reduced-fat American Cheese (I think I'll use cheddar next time)
2 T. Kraft fat-free mayonnaise
1/4 cup water


Preheat oven to 415 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with butter-flavored cooking spray. In a medium bowl, combine baking mix, dry milk powder and Splenda.  Stir in garlic and American cheese. Add mayonnaise and water. Mix well to combine. Drop by tablespoonful onto prepared baking sheet to form 4 biscuits.  Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from oven. Lightly spray tops with butter-flavored cooking spray or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray.  Place baking sheet on a wire rack and let set for at least 5 minutes.  Serve warm.

Serves 4- Fresh from the Hearth, Page 200

122 Calories, 2gm Fat, 5gm Protein, 21gm Carbohydrate, 441mg Sodium, 118mg Calcium, 0gm Fiber.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PINK CHAMPAGNE SALAD: *****  (sorry, no photo of this)

3/4 cup plain fat free yogurt (I use Fage Total 0% fat Greek yogurt)
1/3 cup Carnation nonfat dry milk powder
2 Tablespoons Splenda Granular
I teaspoon vanilla extract
I cup Cool Whip lite (I used Cool Whip Free)
2 to 3 drops red food coloring
I cup canned crushed pineapple, packed in its own juice, undrained
I (4-serving) package JELL-O sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
2 cups fresh strawberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup (1 oz) miniature marshmallows

In a large bowl, combine yogurt and dry milk powder. Add Splenda, vanilla extract, Cool Whip Lite, and red food coloring. Mix gently to combine. Add pineapple with juice and dry pudding mix. Mix well using a wire whisk. Fold in strawberries and marshmallows. Cover and chill until ready to serve.

Serves 6 (2/3 cup) -Healthy Exchanges Newsletter April 94

123 Calories, I gm Fat, 3 gm Protein. 25 gm Carbohydrate, 261 mg Sodium


Enjoy!
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. There seems to be a problem with posting here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally figured out what was wrong. Zach was signed in on google and I thought I was so when I made a comment it didn't publish it and I didn't notice that until today. Sorry Sorry Sorry!!!

    I made a comment on this the day after you posted and have been wondering why you hadn't commented back. Have been checking for a new post every day or so but had never scrolled down to comment area until today. I have jump Zach about this before but he never remembers to sign out.
    I can't remember my comment but it was something like this.

    Thanks for the wonderful recipes but I would probably not care for the fish either like mine plain.

    Again sorry about the mix up I thought it was you that hadn't comment and here it was me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time I've been on since I posted....the grands just left on Sunday and I have been bone tired! Plus....on the Sunday after I picked them up on Saturday, I took them to the swimming pool and walked into the life guard tower 'feet' and broke my next to the little toe....that made me damn mad as not only did it interfere with the joy of playing as much with my grandchildren, its hindered my walks! Then on Sunday evening, I was trying to straighten the house back up and moved the coffee table to vacuum and pulled a muscle in my back...spent yesterday on the couch until 3 and then went to the chiropractor. Feeling better today but still not able to wear more than flip flops so still can't go for my walks. I've added 3 pounds back on because of it too!!!! Dang it!

    Oh, well....such is life, right? LOL.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your toe and back....I guess you just need to take it easy.
    Also sorry to hear about the 3 lbs. but you'll get it back off as soon as you can get around good.
    I finally have off what I gained on vacation now just to get more off.
    Going to through a load of laundry in and walk.

    Take Care!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...