May 8, 2014

The effects of a long, miserable Winter...

You don't really realize the effects a super cold, long winter has on the landscape until Spring arrives and things should be greening up.  This is just two of my dozens of boxwood's.  As you can see, the damage is beyond repair...I'm still holding out pulling them up for a while longer to see if anything greens up on them. Do not be fooled by those so called botanists that say you don't have to water established plants...they all need moisture, no matter how well established they are.  I believe if I'd watered my boxwood's before the cold winter set in, they would have survived...maybe not 100% but not to the point of damage that they are now. I've had these for over 20 years and hate to lose them. The Azalea that I babied for 3 seasons to get established took one hard winter to die!  My ornament pear trees look like they have developed a disease too...so they are coming down...I will not fight for their lovely white flowers any longer! I'm sure there is a better alternative for these disease trodden beauties. My Korean Lilac is blooming but the beautiful, full bush I had last year is just a memory cause its sparse in leaves this year.  I'll be cutting it way back after the blooms are gone to try and shape it back up into the beautiful lush bush it was last year.  Most of my Hosta survived but not all....the Shasta Daisy that I fought for years to get established is struggling to even get itself started and it should be 6 inches tall by now.  No matter how much you want it, fighting with Mother Nature is a never ending chore.  I'm getting too old to continue this fight and think I'll throw in the towel and admit defeat...the lawn won this battle!  Next week, I'll be feeling more optimistic and give it another fight! LOL and pray that Mother Nature is kind to me and brings me more rain this summer than it has the past 3 summers.

Wind Burned Boxwood's




Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. We lost several things to the hard cold winter too and we have spent the last several days taking out some of our flower beds and planting grass. Just can't fight the weeds any longer. I love my flowers but I love my knees and back more.
    Sorry about the things you have lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was on my walk this past evening and noticed a house that had holly all along the front...it looked like my boxwood and it made me realize that I hadn't seen any really pretty shrubs this Spring that I usually see in bloom...no Azaleas, no Rhododendron, no Weigela, no nothing....so sad! I understand about the flower beds and the knees and back. I use lots of Preen so I don't weed much...just a bit in the Spring when the flowers are first coming up. Lots of Preen and mulch!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...